Your School District Owes Your Child
a Free, Appropriate, Public Education (FAPE)
- Free: You should not be paying for services or placement that your child needs in order to benefit from his/her education.
- Appropriate: The placement and related services should be such that your child makes progress on goals determined to be appropriate for him/her.
- Public: Funded by the school district.
in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
- Every disabled student has the right to be educated in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
- The Least Restrictive Environment may be different for each individual student with an IEP.
- The child may need to be educated in the regular classroom (with or without an aide or behavior plan) or might require placement in a private school.
Parents truly must be treated as Individual Education Plan (IEP) team members.
Parents must be included in all decisions relating to their child’s education.